Do these poses every day and you’ll find your posture improving very fast. As your muscles stretch, strengthen and lengthen, you may even find you’ve ‘grown’ an inch or so!
- Mountain Pose is really how we should be standing all the time, so if you can do this pose in correct alignment with ease, your posture is probably already pretty good! Most people, however, find this posture to be challenging, as it requires your whole body to be engaged.
- Tree Pose – A slumped over posture makes balancing poses very difficult, as when we slouch our body weight tends to carry us forward. When we learn to stand tall and balanced in Tree Pose, we can carry this feeling into our everyday posture.
- Downward Facing Dog is a great pose for improving your posture, as it stretches and lengthens the spine and opens your shoulders, thus reversing that rounded, hunched over look.
- Plank Pose – Sometimes our slouching stems from having a weak core that lacks the strength to hold us upright. Plank Pose will strengthen your core, which will take some of the stress off your spine, allowing you to hold yourself up straight with ease.
- Cobra Pose and Half Cobra Pose gently stretch the spine and open the chest, reversing rounded shoulders and upper backs.
- Cow Face Pose is an intense chest and shoulder opener that will quickly lengthen all the muscles. This helps relieve tightness after long hours hunching over a desk and steering wheel.